[rescue] Wisdom of the Collective: QFE

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Feb 10 11:01:36 CST 2014

Yeah. On the other hand, I bought three dual-10GBE cards over the weekend
for about $50 each. PCI-e, on current VMware ESXi support list, from a
fairly reputable seller. I'd do well to find even an SFP+ module at retail
for what I spent on the whole batch. My first two 10gbe cards were $26 each
I think, and they still work 2-3 years later.

There's a junk shop (as I've called them for years) here in Sunnyvale that
I've shopped at on and off for at least 10 years. They've always had a very
clear "NO RETURNS EVERYTHING AS-IS" policy posted throughout the store and
on their receipts. And it used to be a regular occasion that I'd go in to
look for cables or something and there'd be a customer screaming at the
tech that they weren't honoring their NO RETURNS EVERYTHING AS-IS policy by
giving her money back.

In the last year or two they've gone a bit more "kinder and gentler" and
offer 30 day exchange, and warranties on some PCs, but based on the clearly
posted policy I knew that anything I bought there was a gamble at my own
risk. Just like most swap meet/flea market booths, and on some level, any
online marketplace (whether eBay, Craigslist, Amazon Marketplace, etc).