[rescue] Wisdom of the Collective: QFE

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Feb 10 10:33:47 CST 2014

It's most likely "Amazon providing a marketplace platform, and someone
using it to sell something" ... I'm always surprised when 15+ years into
this marketplace concept (ebay, amazon, etc) people still don't get that
distinction.

It generally falls to the buyer to be aware of what they're shopping for.
And "asking for sums" doesn't equate with being a scam... if they post "200
page book" and send you a photo of it for your "sums" that would be a scam.
If it's "using available technology to make something useless and then
putting a price on it," that's letting the market decide.

If someone posts their new in box Commodore Plus/4 for $200 on eBay, is
that a scam? No. It's an excessive price in many minds, but maybe not for
all. If someone loads Commodore Amiga emulators on a Raspberry Pi and posts
that on Craigslist for $100, is that a scam? No, although it might be a
license violation depending on how much fun Amiga emulators are to operate.
Are either of them the fault of the marketplace platform? No.

But anyway, it's up to each of us to decide what we're comfortable with,
and how certain we are with our ability to discern valid sellers and/or
manageable buyer protection mechanisms. And I have to remind myself that 2
bad experiences out of 500+ for me may not be the experience everyone has,
and that some folks just want to blame the big marketplaces. Some people
would probably blame their local supermarket if they bought a box of fiber
bars and ate them all in one sitting. :)

And think about the poor sods bidding on
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhone-5-16GB-White-Sprint-Smartphone-With-Flappy-Bird-Installed-/271397942408?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3f3093f488...
(url gives you the gist except for the six figure price it's
approaching) ... is it a scam? No. Is it stupid? Yes. But that's not the
seller's fault. :)