[rescue] SET at home servers

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Thu Dec 18 15:27:24 CST 2014

> The 400 watts is what I'm allowed to consume with a 1U colo, I neither have a
> server colo'd nor does said colo'd server draw 400 watts.
> I was reciting numbers I knew from a recent research effort of mine when I was
> considering colocating a Dell PE1950 or PE2950 (a 2U server) for personal
> use.
> Bottom-line, I think I can colo the server for less than I can host it at home
> (barring any surprise fees for bandwidth).
> Lionel

Used to have the $650/mo power bills.

Currently in a colo with a 1u Compaq DL360 g5 or g6. 6 x 1TB 2.5" disks
and dual quad core xeons I think (older ones) put it right around 1.1 amps
not under heavy load (load on cpus makes a difference!)

At home my disk array box is pulling like 2 amps :-/

On another note I plan to bring back the dustbunny archive that I used to
co-run. (Still have the data from it too.)

 			- Ethan