[rescue] SET at home servers

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Thu Dec 18 15:27:26 CST 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 04:15:57PM -0500, Andrew Jones wrote:
> I'm surprised it's cost effective to colocate a 1950 or 2950.  I would
> have thought the power draw alone would pay for a newer system.

They aren't bad at power, and the newer systems aren't that much lower
in general. What you get with a newer system is a whole lot *more* resources
available for the same power footprint. Also, with the dynamic power
shutdown of various cores and things, you can dip down in your power
usage, only to spin up more cores and more power as you need them.

My old rough guide (ie. 2750, 2850, 2950) was 1U = 1.1A of current
draw (~130W) and 2U = 2.2A of current draw (260W).

The newest R730's, can maybe get down from the 260W on average to 170W
idle average, until they start ramping up usage, and then can go beyond up
into the 350W range, depending on how many cores, and how aggressive power
management is on the system.

If you want really ultra low power draw, you can go with ATOM based
systems, where 30W-45W per server is easily obtained.