[rescue] SET at home servers

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Dec 18 14:21:35 CST 2014

I really doubt your 1U server is drawing 400W of power continuously, unless
you've put a couple of video cards or a Xeon Phi into it, or are really
stressing it pretty continuously.  A 2 proc Xeon E5 1U system from work
draws around 375W max load, and about 110W at idle.  Older 1U dual-proc
Xeon/Opteron systems (Circa 2008-2009) that we have idled around 200W, and
maxed out at 333W.

Note that "max load" means you're doing some well-optimized floating point
math on them, eg the HPL benchmark. Integer loads and I/O don't stress the
CPUs very much.

Pat