[rescue] SET at home servers

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Thu Dec 18 13:23:38 CST 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:18:59AM -0800, John Floren wrote:
> I've always been pleasantly surprised at how cheap it is to keep
> computers running 24/7, although the closest I came to one of these
> was a 1U Sun box I had for a while back in college.
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't imagine the cost of running one 24x7, especially in California/Bay
>> Area...

Assuming about 500W of power draw (3 x 605W power supplies, but
typically 1/3rd of max rating ever hit on the power supplies, plus
different power based on number of CPUs, memory & drives). This may
be close to what I remember last time I measured one of these running,
which is quite some time ago.

That should be about 366kWh per month on average.

The "average" price for power is about $0.11 per kWh, and is close to
what I pay for here in the midwest.

So, about $40 month to power this server.

The fan noise & heat output outside of a datacenter would be something
else altogether.