[rescue] SET at home servers

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Dec 18 12:55:04 CST 2014

> On Dec 18, 2014, at 12:18 PM, John Floren <john at jfloren.net> wrote:
>
> I've always been pleasantly surprised at how cheap it is to keep
> computers running 24/7, although the closest I came to one of these
> was a 1U Sun box I had for a while back in college.

I think you might find that one of these servers would be a bit different. I
donbt remember the exact numbers, but when i was playing with my e3500 a
couple of years ago I think power consumption was something in the
neighborhood of 800w when the server was fully populated with system boards
and no disks.  That may or may not have included the a5k, which i remember was
about 120w with no disks installed.  I know some configuration drew over 1kw
at some point.  (Measurements made with a kill-o-watt, which may not be
entirely accurate, but should be in the ballpark.)  Even with cheap midwest
power, that was far more than I was willing to keep running, especially in the
summer when Ibm also paying for AC.  There is no use for those machines that
justifies their power consumption for more than a few hours at a time in my
home.  One caveat is that all of that measurement was done with no OS
installed, machines at OBP prompt, so if there is some power saving that
requires an OS to enable, it was not active.

Those machines were also loud with a certain distinctive noise that was
initially very cool in a b
my basement sounds like a real datacenterb
 way,
but before long was unpleasant in a b
my entire house sounds like itbs
attached to a real datacenterb