[rescue] Floppy disks and lifespans

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Dec 11 09:32:40 CST 2014

For backups, nothing beats tape.

I use LTO-3 tape in a StorageTek L700 library at home, and haven't had any
problem re-reading tapes.  I just wish I had newer firmware, so I could use
the LTO-4 drives I have.

My first level backup though is to spinning disk off-site. It's a lot
easier to recover from last night's rsync, and it's easier to tell if the
backup copy is still good.

Pat