[rescue] Sparc Server 1000E

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Wed Dec 10 04:06:18 CST 2014

On 12/10/2014 01:31 AM, Nigel Williams wrote:

> Vincenzo, does it look like this?
>
> http://sunstuff.org/hardware/systems/sun4/sun4d/SPARCserver1000/
>
> How does the "E" model differ?

If memory serves, the 1000 runs the XDbus at 40MHz, the 1000E runs it at
50MHz.  They use different system boards to do this, not sure about the
backplane, but otherwise I believe everything is interchangeable.

I had picked up an SS1000 in 2004, then decided to go for a maximum
configuration. While collecting 85MHz MBus modules I decided I ought to
go for the faster board-level interconnect as well, so that SS1000 went
to Matt Fredette (who some will recognize as the author of the TME
emulator). Because, I naively thought in 2005, surely it won't be that
hard to come up with a 1000E? Sigh...

Never did happen, and by now I don't think I'd bother - SGI Origin and
Altix systems scratch that lots-o-processors itch nicely...

--Steve.