[rescue] PCMCIA and sbus

Barry Callahan barryc at rjlsystems.com
Mon Dec 8 11:07:53 CST 2014

On 12/8/2014 11:30 AM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> When I tried doing something similar, I discovered that all the "PCMCIA"
> USB adapters are actually PC Card, which is not quite the same (PCI
> bus-type interface, unlike PCMCIA which is ISA bus).

"PC Card" is a friendlier name for the physical format.
"PCMCIA" is 16-bit ISA.
"CardBus" is 32-bit PCI.

> I had similar hopes for getting USB on an ISA bus PC with an ISA to PCMCIA
> card.
> All,
>
> Has anyone with a sun4u or sun4m system gone from sbus->PCMCIA->USB to
> access peripherals (printers, storage, etc?) What OSes and what
> peripherals have you used? It would be interesting/fun to be able to
> use USB sticks on a Sparc 20.

I don't think I've EVER seen an ISA-bus USB controller, regardless of
the physical format of the card. And I know for a fact that I've never
seen an SBUS USB controller.

If you're just wanting to use more modern removable media with the
system, maybe try looking into a "USB floppy emulator" or something like
a SCSI2SD card ( http://shop.codesrc.com/ )