[rescue] FTGH: UPA, SBUS, and, MBUS hardware

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sun Dec 7 18:45:06 CST 2014

On 2014/12/07, 17:44, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Dec 2014, Mouse wrote:
>
>> Now you indicate it can do double-buffering too.  I do wish Sun's old
>> hardware documentation program had produced more results before it fell
>> victim to the Oracle takeover.)
>
> It may only be the GX+ and TGX+ that can do double-buffering.  I made an
> effort to avoid GX and TGX consoles because of how horribly slow they
> felt relative to anything else I'd used.

I used to run Aviator on the first GX SPARCstations, and it _seemed_ to
be double-buffered.  Or maybe that was playing games with the color
lookup table.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.aviation.simulators/zdzy6FuvXVQ

(1992: "What name do we use for a search pattern in archie?"  How young
we all were!)

Might be fun to try to get Aviator going again on a GX.  A friend
modified aircraftcap(5) to add wing area, thrust, etc.  We got one to go
so high, tumbling and bouncing off the atmosphere, that the sun, on a
black sky, turned into an ellipse.  When you could glimpse it at all;
the tumbling was pretty violent.  The author of the program (whom we
chased down and invited to dinner) said it couldn't _do_ that.  I think
we showed it to him.