[rescue] Question on V490 power

Jawahar Panchal jpanchal at global-macro.org
Mon Aug 25 12:10:55 CDT 2014

On Aug 25, 2014, at 11:59 AM, Nick B <nick at pelagiris.org> wrote:

> No 220/240 would be unusual, no space in the junction box is becoming more
> and more common.  Older homes have added circuits over time, filling their
> panels, and newer homes save the 0.50$/house on the junction box (and
> another 5$ on the breakers) by buying the smallest/cheapest legal.
> Nick

Im in a kind of strange situation with power - am in a high-rise, and my
building was built in the 70s with everything all-electric (no nat gas lines).
So there are single phase and phase neutral circuits in each unit, however,
the single phase circuits are all occupied with HVAC and electric range. I
have plenty of amps available in terms of power budget, just no chance to get
lines at the higher voltage. =P

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
>
>> On 08/25/2014 12:25 PM, Jawahar Panchal wrote:
>>
>>> Am hoping not to have to do any transformer work - and my current single
>>> phase
>>> circuits are taken - so really don t want to invest in
>>> electrician/electrical
>>> work and parts, especially for a free machine! :) I went through the FEH,
>>> and
>>> saw that the power supplies for the V480 and V490 look identical, but
>>> wasn t
>>> sure if that was a viable path - it would be one of least resistance, as
>>> old
>>> V480 power supplies are easily available:
>>>

>> It would be very unusual to have a house with no 220/240 service at all,
>> and no space in the junction box.
>>
>> Do you not have an electric dryer or stove?  Even places with gas services
>> will often have the electrical infrastructure in place.

Same response as above! :)