[rescue] Win 8 FUD - was Re: NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 15:57:32 CDT 2014

On 11 August 2014 22:30, Raymond Wiker <rwiker at gmail.com> wrote:
> My point was that the Start Screen and the Modern Interface applications is
> *exactly* what people are complaining about. Example: the Mail application
is
> (probably) acceptable on a tablet with limited screen real estate and no
> keyboard, but  for a desktop PC, it makes no sense whatsoever. Live Mail is
> much better candidate on a desktop PC; it is free but has to be downloaded
> separately.

WTF? Why would you use it? You download and install a proper email
client just like you do on every other version of Windows ever!
Thunderbird would be my choice, but a lot of poor sods who know no
better use Outlook, of course.

But frankly, it's 2014 and I think most people using email use webmail
now. Even, increasingly, in business environments.

I really do not think that /is/ what vexes people. I suspect, like me,
even naC/ve users try the Modern apps, dismiss them as toys and go back
to doing what they did on Win7 or whatever.

Apart from IE, Freecell and Notepad, I suspect most of Windows'
bundled apps go unused and always have had, in W8 just as in
everything back to Windows 2, which is where I started off.

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven