[rescue] NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP?

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 14:35:56 CDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Carl R. Friend <crfriend at rcn.com> wrote:

>    On Sun, 10 Aug 2014, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>  NT isn't Mica. Yes, sure, NT contains design elements from VMS,
>> because it's written by some of the VMS team lead by the lead designer
>> of VMS. But it's not a version of VMS -- it's a relative. It's also
>> related to OS/2 and to Windows.
>>

>    The underlying kernel is >90% Mica, and is related about as much
> to VMS as VMS is related to RSX-11 (which is quite a bit).  Once you
> really get in under the covers it's amazingly VMS-ish.  NT3 was even
> bug-for-bug compatible with some of the worst features of VMS 3 (e.g.
> the pending dismount which put the file-system into a twilight state
> that required a reboot to fix).  RWAST deadlock, anybody?

I'm surprised nobody has posted a link to probably the most definitive
article on the subject, "Windows NT and VMS: The Rest of the Story" by Mark
Russinovich (cofounder of Winternals Software and Sysinternals.com, now a
Technical Fellow at Microsoft), written back on Nov 30, 1998:

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-client/windows-nt-and-vms-rest-story

- Nate