[rescue] NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP?

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat Aug 9 18:04:44 CDT 2014

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2014, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Did you read the whole link I shared? The proven (legally) similarities
> resulted in forcing MS to pledge to support NT on Alpha...
>
> http://m.windowsitpro.com/windows-client/death-alpha-nt

    Yes, I did; however, I was relating a personal experience with the
thing ("N"T) that handily predated the article in question.  There are
some things that stick in one's mind over the years.  I seem to
especially remember pain, and that one hurt quite a bit.  Of note is
how short the life-span of "N"T on Alpha really was.  It was hardly
"supported" at all save for the barest token.

    I'm not slagging off on what Mica's become -- not by a long-shot;
MS have a darned fine kernel now with it.  It's just a rotten shame
that they had to ruin it with the POS that Windows 8 is.  If only
Dave Cutler had taken not just Mica with him but also DCL...

    To the good folk who have commented on my plight with the VMS
hobbyist programme, it's more down to the fact that the
"connect-community" seems to have forgotten my credentials (again)
and I have a "helpful" ISP somewhere in the way that's intercepting
the "forgotten password" e-mail which I asked for (a case of the
"cure" being worse than the disease when it comes to junk and scams).
You all have my thanks!  I'll try pursuing this matter through
alternate channels.  My little Alpha-based system is still here
and quite intact, and just to my right as I write this (along with
a whole pile of other workstation-class boxes of disparate CPU
architectures).

    Cheers!