[rescue] NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP?

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Sat Aug 9 17:04:11 CDT 2014

On Aug 9, 2014, at 2:21 PM, Carl R. Friend wrote:

>   On Sat, 9 Aug 2014, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> WinNT *was* released on Alpha, it was supported on Multias and other Alpha
>> machines of that period.
>
>   It went all the way up until NT 4 and then died a speedy death.  I
> have an Alpha system that originally ran NT4 until the disk died in
> it and I opted to load VMS.  Unfortunately the 1-year license for that
> has expired and I cannot renew it thanks to HP taking the hobbyist
> program internal.  Recycle time.

No need to recycle because of the Hobbyist program - it is still out there,
you just have to get to the right site. I was eventually able to get current
VMS Hobbyist licenses through this site, IIRC:
http://plato.ccsscorp.com/hobbyist_registration.php3  --  there should be
several recent threads about this on the classiccmp/cc-talk list if I
misremembered.

Be a shame to recycle good hardware over the poor migration/maintenance of the
Hobbyist application process. And, who knows, maybe VSI will help clean up
that mess since they seem to look upon the program favorably.

Luck,
--Steve.