[rescue] NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 13:03:24 CDT 2014

A couple nits to pick - see in-line notes below:

Lionel

> On Aug 9, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It had NT for
> SPARC but didn't launch it.

Releasing NT in SPARC would not have been a very good idea, it's success would
have relied on third-parties to cross-compile their applications to a new CPU
architecture for any real success, IMHO. Did Win NT on Alpha really amount to
much? Win NT/SPARC would have been a third platform for vendors to support...

> It required fancy high-end disks and
> proprietary RAM and expansion cards for far too long, when it should
> have been making PC-formfactor motherboards which could plug into all
> the parts of a standard PC, so taking advantage of cheap PC
> componentry.

Well, the pedantist in me feels compelled to point out that. SCSI was common
on workstations (their intended market) and us believe all the RAM Sun used
was standard- based, they used obscure standards to be sure, but the commodity
SPARC boxes I'm aware of used standard form-factor DIMMs with fairly standard
technology on them, but no one else (AFAIK) ever adopted the same combinations
of standard DIMM form-factor and memory technology, effectively rendering them
proprietary, but not really.

Early Sun desktops used standard PC 30 and 72 pin SIMMs, but required parity -
an unusual, but not unheard of requirement at the time in the PC market.