[rescue] NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Fri Aug 8 16:19:21 CDT 2014

> I never tried 2.0 but loved 2.1. It was nightmare to install - for some
> reason the installer used a refresh rate that was too high for my monitor,
> causing it to go out of sync shortly after displaying the logo. For the
> life of me I can't remember how I resolved that, but once OS/2 was
> installed it was sweet. Presentation Manager was great and I had a full set
> of ported GNU tools installed too.

Although I was a long time OS/2 user, I'm writing this comment not in defense of
OS/2, but as a reflection of the general, non-wintel, x86 experience through out
the 1990's.

Any of you out there may have just got lucky running generic hardware with what
ever the new OS of the week/month/year was, but my personal observation was that
if you planned to run a non-ms operating system in the 1990's on x86 hardware
and you wanted to be successful with it, Standard operating procedure in my neck
of the woods was to figure out what you wanted/needed to run, grab the hardware
comparability list for your OS, and then buy your hardware from that list.

Sadly, I saw people have to learn that lesson again, and again and again.

FYI, EcomStation currently boots from JFS2 volumes.

Jerry