[rescue] NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP?

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Aug 7 10:44:13 CDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:54:05PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> I got OS/2 2.0 and 2.1 running on it really sweetly -- but with 3.0
> all my drivers broke. Couldn't get 800*600 any more, no sound from my
> external Logitech parallel-port audio adapter. Had to go back to the
> PC Speaker driver.

I never tried 2.0 but loved 2.1. It was nightmare to install - for some
reason the installer used a refresh rate that was too high for my monitor,
causing it to go out of sync shortly after displaying the logo. For the
life of me I can't remember how I resolved that, but once OS/2 was
installed it was sweet. Presentation Manager was great and I had a full set
of ported GNU tools installed too.

When Windows 95 came out (I also had a few of the late betas) I started
using that, primarily because OS/2 would never get 32-bit Windows support.
I slowly stopped using OS/2 and eventually switched to using a combination
of Windows and Linux (I had dual booted OS/2 and Linux for a while already,
since late 1994).

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/