[rescue] Found an old Mac Mini

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Sun Aug 3 21:08:08 CDT 2014

On 03/08/14 9:05 PM, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> Found a first generation Mac Mini hiding in my boxes of misc computer
> stuff. Still had the vga adaptor so I hooked it up. It's got a 1.25 ghz G4,
> 1 gb ram, a 40 (37 gb formatted) gb disk, Combo Drive & OS X 10.3.7
> installed. No airport card.
>
> Now what do I do with this old gal?
>
> Perhaps one of the BSDs? It'll run up to 10.5 but my memory is that was
> rather painful with a max of 1 gb ram. OTOH, browsing with anything old
> enough to run on this girl is going to be grim.

Tenfourfox should be okay. I use it on a G5 (admittedly faster).

I've been using some early Intel iMacs with not much more than 1GB, you
can just get by with 10.6.

> Curious little first world problem. I'd like to find some good use for it
> or sell it. It would be a shame for the little thing to get recycled.

I think you'd find list people who'd take it.

It is actually still useful as a machine that can run Classic
environment, to some developers.

--Toby