[rescue] VT320's, glass TTYs in general - Re: hack42's collection [Was: Re: Tektronix 4002 terminal] (Lionel Peterson)

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Tue Apr 22 13:26:41 CDT 2014

> Yes, the VT525 uses a VGA monitor and a PS/2 keyboard of either PC or
> terminal-specific layout.
>
> A nice feature of the VT525 base is that it can be hung off a standard PS/2
> KVM.
>
> The VT525 is still being produced and sold for $350, that puts a hard
> upper-limit on value of a used device.
>
> What I like about the VT525 is that as the monitor fades, replacements are
> plentiful and very affordable... And as retro-computer users age, the
> ability
> to run a real terminal on a bigger CRT becomes very attractive. (DEC never
> made a 19" terminal AFAIK)
>
> Lionel
>
> > On Apr 21, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> >
> > Neither of these included the keyboard or
> > the monitor, although I suppose a VT525 is recent enough that they
> > probably use PS2 compatible keyboards and VGA compatible monitors.

I wasn't familiar with the VT525, that looks like a nice set up.... ebay
prices
look pretty steep though...   I do need to get a good "decent" terminal,
for some
things it'll be much easier than the USB-Serial thingy (I did get two new
ones
to try, which have good reviews for the rescuer-type uses...)

Earl