[rescue] Sunv240 is up and running

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:57:44 CDT 2014

I re-installed Solaris 10 after installing the XVR-600 Framebuffer and a
QFE (giving me 4 Gig and 4 Fast Ethernet ports) and all is well. is it the
height of silliness to ask about OS updates?

I was stumped for a while, the framebuffer didn't take over as I expected,
all console I/O was on the serial management port. I found the OBP
input-device and output-device were set to ttya, when I set them to
keyboard and screen and rebooted, the display took over right away.

Now I understand my two 4x 2 Gig RAM kits are on their way to me, so my
little server will be maxed-out soon. The next step will be to stuff a
multi-pack with drives and add some more storage to this machine, but that
may have to wait until after the move, when I have a chance to properly
appease the SCSI gods with my chicken sacrifice before attempting.

As a desktop the server seems sort of slow, despite it's dual 1 GHz+ CPUs
and RAM, I'm wondering if I need to install some framebuffer-specific
driver to fully exploit the framebuffer?

Also, I'll need to be on the lookout for a Sun USB keyboard/mouse set, I
have a ton of the older sets, but none are USB - unless there's one stashed
with my SB1000...

On to the next salvage...

--
Lionel Peterson