[rescue] Moving (save the VAXen!)

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Oct 16 01:29:52 CDT 2013

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 22:46:28 -0400, Toby Thain wrote:
> Noting that in the UK, Sun was also cloned; I own an ICL SPARCstation
> clone (again sold in Australia, but it's a UK brand afaik).

Perhaps not entirely a clone. The ICL DRS6000 range included a large
VME crate with a SPARC processor, and a 68020 as a "FEP". Wouldn't run
Solaris, but DRS/NX which was a lightly skinned USL SVR4.2SMP with
enough compatibility to run Solaris binaries - I did the upgrade from
BIND4 to BIND8 with the assistance of one (where the production servers
were Suns).

Of course I may be seeing ICL's engineering accomplishments through
rose tinted spectacles as both my parents worked for constituent
companies during the 1960s (LEO and Elliots).

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
   "People believe in all sorts of odd superstitions though: black cats,