[rescue] Moving (save the VAXen!)

Stéphane Tsacas stephane.tsacas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 19:26:56 CDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2013, St?phane Tsacas wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

>>> Being in Ohio has its disadvantages...
>>>

>>>  Talk to me... I'm in Paris... France, want the 11/34 even just some
>> memory
>> board ! :/
>>

> How common is DEC gear over there?  Did you ever have your own clones?

It was pretty common since most universities in the 80's had PDP's and
later VAXen. Of course some of them were "forced" to use Bull machines.
DEC clones came from UK, Plessey and another brand (I can't remember the
name of it) manufactured a microcoded AMD-2900 based 11/750.

Almost all of the computers used during this era were destroyed since
the Ministry of National Education had special procedures to get rid of the
old equipment. Most of DEC machines were replaced by Sun servers and
workstations.

Stiphane