[rescue] What to do with old Sun h/w?

John Floren john at jfloren.net
Fri Oct 11 00:35:52 CDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM,  <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 01:53:32PM -0400, Mike Loewen wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Earl Baugh wrote:
>>
>> >I rarely see any "older" Sun (esp Sun 3) gear available... either here or
>> >on other lists.
>> >I'd personally be interested in it, at worst to at least snag boards (where
>> >and when I could) if that was the case.
>> >I'd love a couple more Sun 3 kbds.  I'm seeing less and less Sun 10 and
>> >earlier boxes, but still see/hear of IPC/IPX type stuff somewhat
>> >occasionally.
>> >
>> >The question for me is more how much and what I am going to keep in the
>> >collection.    Unless I can convince my wife to turn the basement into a
>> >computer shrine, :-)  I'm getting close to the limit.
>>
>>    Fortunately for me, the pizza box and lunch box workstations
>> don't take up a lot of space, and most of them are connected to a
>> KVM switch.
>>
>>    I did manage to get special dispensation to keep an IBM 129
>> keypunch downstairs in the music studio.  :-)
>
> Man, oh man. That's the right place for it. The sound of somebody who knows
> what she's doing spitting out cards on one of those is music to my ears.
> It's right up there with a 1403 with the hood up.
>
> I miss those days!

There was a CDC card punch on the loading dock at work some time ago,
somehow it survived in storage or a basement or wherever.
Unfortunately, because of regulations, there is no possible way I
could have retrieved that thing. I don't think we're even allowed to
give stuff to schools or museums. I'd have loved to have that, and the
IBM card sorter next to it, in my living room :)