[rescue] Sun E450 - 'CPU Fan 2 Failure' but not failed

Greg Jurman jurman.greg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 01:15:18 CST 2013

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 1:57 AM,  <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 01:37:37AM -0500, Greg Jurman wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM,  <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:
>> > On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 12:51:08AM -0500, Greg Jurman wrote:
>
>> So to see if there was a fault I spliced the fan connections around
>> and swaped the wiring of Fan 1 with Fan 2. If it was the fan, the
>> fault should of moved and it didn't. The fans don't send tach like a
>> normal CPU fan, but rotor locked/stall (high if stalled, low if
>> spinning). Grounding that signal line directly also didn't work.
>> O-scope didn't show any problems with voltages or show any signal
>> anomalies.
>
> Sounds like you're checking pretty thoroughly and know what you're doing.
> There may be some good news here, there's always the possibility that
> it's an OBP/LOM issue. Reading comp.unix.solaris and various mailing lists
> for a few years now I have seen numerous "this can't be happening" hardware
> problems "solved" by upgrading the OBP/LOM/ALOM levels. It would definitely
> be a good idea to try to reflash before going any further on a mainboard
> replacement. Mainboards are often more expensive than a whole new server,
> especially if you live in a place where people are dumping/selling older
> gear. The firmware is no longer publicly available, but since your box is
> older somebody may still have the firmware from the Sun days.

Completely agree. I've encountered the 'just re-flash it' problem on
various other hardware before so that will definitely be my next step.
I rescued this one for the low price of
just-get-this-out-of-my-basement. Where I am there doesn't much Sun
equipment to be had so a main-board replacement is currently out of
the question.

I checked sunshack on archive.org for the firmware. I found it but the
links are unfortunately dead. I will keep looking.