[rescue] Hobby AIX/UNIX on POWER - Re: FREE: IBM 9111-285

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 14:05:02 CDT 2013

<toby at telegraphics.com.au>

14/05/13 6:40 AM, Steve Sandau wrote:
>Yes, that's a really nice little system
to hack on; I did the same. The
>console admin tools (smit, etc) are
"different" if you're used to Linux,
>but nicely done.

I'd say, more like
*DIFFERENT*, but yeah.  :-)  At least smit & smitty would reveal the CLI
command it was constructing for you, so you could self-teach yourself the
arcane AIX CLI administration commands over time.

I don't know if this
continued through the years, but I recall in AIX 2.x (early 90's), there'd be
an icon of a man running while SMIT executed a command, and if the command
failed, the man would fall over.  Pretty funny really, and about as close to
humor as I think you could get from IBM!

-Jonathan