[rescue] Ultra 60 RAM installed backwards

Derrik Walker v2.0 lorddoomicus at me.com
Wed May 8 12:04:42 CDT 2013

On 5/8/13 12:42 PM, Eric J wrote:
> I wish I were joking, I got this thing the other day and it works but
> I was about to do a RAM upgrade only to discover that I can't remove
> the installed DIMMs because they were all put in backwards! Is there
> anything I can do to get them out or is it hopeless? The levers won't
> budge and I'd probably break them if I used more force.

How did that happen without breaking the DIMMS?

The little slots on the bottom only line up one way, and the last time I
tried forcing a DIMM in backwards, it broke ( don't ask - ok - lets just
say it's better NOT to do hardware repairs after going 30 hours with no
sleep ). I'm just glad I didn't break the system board.

Are you sure they are in backwards and not just some cheap ones that
didn't use gold contacts and got corroded and are now stuck? I've
actually seen that on some older SGI's.  In that case, you'll need
contact cleaner, a small flat head screw driver, a steady hand, and a
fair amount of patients.

- Derrik