[rescue] OS for ZFS?

Scott Newell newell+rescue at n5tnl.com
Sun Mar 31 20:35:46 CDT 2013

At 09:36 AM 3/31/2013, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>People say that 4gb is minimum, but I've never had trouble with using
>less.  I've gone as low as 1.25gigs without trouble, hosting both a ZFS
>mirrored pair and a 4 disk raidz, along with lightly used Postgres and
>MySQL. A few years ago, 1 gig was recommended as minimum with 2 gigs
>being a pretty good amount for a moderate workgroup.  I don't really
>think that has changed.

I went with the U60: 2*300 MHz CPUs, 2*72 GB 15k drives, and 2 GB of
ram.  I fought the FreeBSD-9.1-release installer for far too long (it
could not find a kernel), so I ended up on 8.3-release (which did install).

It looks like my zfs pool will be a mirror of a ~50 GB slice of the
boot drive and the entire second drive, which seems
strange.  Googling around a bit, I wonder...maybe I could set up a
small ufs boot partition and have the root filesystem zfs?

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

--
newell  N5TNL