[rescue] OS for ZFS?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Sun Mar 31 06:39:44 CDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 02:32:49PM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 02:26 PM 3/25/2013, Jerry Kemp wrote:
>
> >There are many *Solaris distro options.
> >
> >Is there a particular option that the OP needs to address, or is
> >just a general Unix based OS+ZFS required?
>
> I'm not too picky and the box won't be doing much at all.  The U60
> is running an ancient version of OpenBSD, I found some extra SCSI
> drives, and would like to rebuild it (if possible) to run ZFS.
> Snapshots sound fun, as does some sort of drive mirroring.  I don't
> plan on dedupe.  Compression is a maybe, but I suspect it would be
> starved for CPU.

ZFS has not been ported to OpenBSD and it is very unlikely that it will be.
I would say 4GB is a good safe minimum for running ZFS on Solaris or
OpenSolaris. ZFS likes to cache as much as possible. If you want good
filesystem performance *and* enough RAM left to actually do something else
with the box beside cache filesystem data, you need some RAM.