[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 124, Issue 3

Gary Sloane gksloane at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:21:07 CST 2013

Years ago Larry Ellison approached Sun to have them build a Sun box to act as
a dedicated turn-key Oracle server. Sun asked him for the specifications that
the machine would have. He provided them and Sun's response was that there
wasn't anything in his specs that an off-the-shelf Sun server didn't already
do - they didn't understand the need for a 'special' machine. From what I've
heard it left a bad taste in Ellison's mouth - part of his reason for
purchasing Sun is to finally get that box, part is probably to get even. If
Oracle ends up shedding most of Sun, there will still be a SPARC-based
dedicated Oracle server. Ellison took advantage of Sun's reaction to the
dot-com crash, namely the move into 'edge computing' or the Linux/Opteron
market - it trashed Sun, legitimizing competetive architectures over Sun's
proprietary products, and resulted in a decline in value that made the Oracle
acquisition of Sun possible. It is absolutely no surprise that Oracle has
tried to wipe the Sun brand recognition off the map. Within minutes of the Sun
purchase they changed the Java headers to remove the Sun name, and
discontinued all teh free IHV/ISV developer programs that Sun had offered. I
refused to join the Oracle developer groups on principle - they wanted to
charge me for access to information that would allow me to generate 3rd party
products that would keep the Oracle/Sun marketplace healthy. Most 3rd party
developers severely reduced or eliminated Sun aftermarket product development.
Oracle has made and continues to make money on the Sun acquisition; but they
are also losing the Sun customer base (and engineers!) in droves. I was a
develoepr of Sun aftermarket products (hardware, mostly PCI and SBus
products). When Sun endorsed the Linux/Opteron market, I wrote a letter to Sun
stating that it would be the downfall of Sun. If Sun made it look like the
Linux/Opteron combination was a valid replacement for Solaris/SPARC then
people would quicly realize it was cheaper to purchase the hardware at Fry's
rather than from Sun. I remember going to Sun's website and being appalled
that the majority of hardware offerings were Opteron based and that finding
SPARC hardware was getting difficult. Worse, the developer offerings were
almost exlusively Opteron; so Sun wasn't courting Solaris/SPARC IHV/ISV
relationships. To me this was the single most significant flagpost that Sun
was going to lose their market. I no longer develop Solaris/SPARC products for
a living. I'd like to; but the lack of respect that Ellison/Oracle has showed
to Sun's customers and the Sun brand makes that unlikely in the future.
Personally, I'd love to see some (non-Oracle) 3rd party purchase the Sun
desktop/server/Solaris/SPARC unit from Oracle and resurrect Sun. That too
seems unlikely. --gks