[rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?`

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Mon Mar 4 10:24:26 CST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:38:13AM -0500, Mouse wrote:
> I think the people who have abandoned the market in droves are the
> commercial users who, with Oracle's predatory pricing, are suddenly
> finding it economic to replace whole systems rather than replace
> failing hardware underneath a Solaris-based setup.

Indeed.

I'm in the process of replacing a data center which was Sun/Solaris
since forever with commodity hardware/Linux/BSD. [1]  By summer,
Solaris will be gone and any remaining Sun hardware will either be
running Linux or also gone.  This was not my first (sentimental) choice,
but it's pretty much my only (professional) choice.

When I informed my Oracle contacts that I was doing this, the result was
total silence.  It doesn't seem to have made any impression on them at
all that they've lost a 30-year Sun customer.  They didn't even ask why.

---rsk

[1] Let me give a plug for Red Barn Computers, redbarncomputers.com.
My experience with them over the past several years has been somewhere
between "excellent" and "outstanding".