[rescue] Need help in booting Sun 2/50

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Thu Jun 27 12:02:52 CDT 2013

On 06/27/2013 09:12 AM, Michael Ng wrote:
> I have the shoebox 511A but the CPU does not havet DD50 connector -  it
> seems it has been removed at somepoint. ... I have SunOS
> 3.5 tapes and 4.0.3 tapes and the shoebox seems to work as when I plug it
> to Sun 3/60 it makes noise.
>
> Any advice will be highly appreciated..

Sounds like your only option will be to run this Sun-2/50 completely
diskless, unless you want to confirm that only the SCSI connector was
removed and break out a soldering iron...

I don't have a handy online reference to setting up SunOS 3/4 diskless
workstations, but it was definitely covered in Sun's printed
documentation. You may have or can find a copy of the SunOS 4.x
AnswerBook online that will have such a section.

Sounds to me like you could install SunOS 4.0.3 on the Sun-3/60 you
mentioned, set it up as the boot server for the Sun-2/50 following Sun's
docs, and use that or have a working model to translate to a *BSD or
Linux server if that's more convenient for you.

Good luck!
--Steve.