[rescue] Xenix386 software?

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 17:10:10 CDT 2013

I asked this already on CC-Talk and didn't get anywhere but thought
I'd pop it up here as a Just In Case...

As another sideline in my vintage computing, I've been wanting to get
a Xenix 2.3.4 system set up. No good reason, just because I think it
would be fun. I used it briefly early in my career so I have a soft
spot for it despite it's massive amounts of cruft and breakage. O_o I
currently have the base OS & Developer Kit set up in emulation. My
goal, unlikely though it is, is to get as complete a Xenix system as
possible up and running on an old 386 or 486 class laptop. Maybe a
DOS partition for old games too ;)

However, the various unbundled bits are rare as which ever proverb you
care to use.

The unbundled kits I'm still looking for are these:
386 Developer kit 2.3.1 (I have 2.3.0d)
CGI 1.1.0
Text Processing 2.3.0 (nroff & friends)
Manual Pages 2.3.0
VP/ix 1.2.0 vpix (run MS-DOS apps slowly.)
TCP/IP Runtime 1.2.0 tcprt  (it'd be fun to run Lynx!) (Depends on Streams)
TCP/IP Development 1.0.1
Streams Runtime 1.0.0
Streams Toolkit 1.0.0

A few things - the OS & Dev Kit can be found. The torrents & such
that I have found only contain various versions of the OS. They work in
QEMU with some fd fiddling.

You can get up to GCC 2.58 running apparently though I haven't gotten
that far yet.

My next step in the emulated OS is to get the y2k patches installed as
well as the various ported free software onto the emulated drive for
installation. Lacking a TCP/IP stack probably means I'll have to
somehow do it by serial or by (somehow) creating diskette images with
various software on them. Perhaps with real floppy then dd ing it and
mounting the resulting image?

The other unbundled kits are what is missing. I'd really like the text
processing, streams & TCP/IP kits but they & their licenses seem to
have vanished into the ether.

The only copies of Word and FoxPro that I've found I can not get to
work correctly in Xenix386. They may or may not work correctly in a
later (Unix, Open Desktop or Open Server) version.

One other "just in case" - anyone got a copy of SCO Open Desktop 1.1?
That was about the same time as Xenix386, had X11 & TCP/IP built in
and Ingres DB bundled.

I'll keep plugging away at it in case I get lucky :)

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.