[rescue] OpenVMS is officially End-of-Life

mc68010 mc68010 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 18:23:21 CDT 2013

On 6/10/2013 3:50 PM, Andrew Hoerter wrote:
> Alpha hardware is overpriced on the used market, in my experience. VAX
> doesn't run anything past VMS 7.3 or so, IIRC. You might look into an
> older Itanium system (rx1600 or rx2600), those seem to be reasonably
> cheap.

The Alpha servers go pretty cheap. It's really just the workstation that
go for crazy money. There are companies still supporting them in the
field that buy them all up on ebay for big money. Some of the later
Alphastations can fetch well over $1,000.

You can always run 7.3 on Vax Simh. Simh is actually a lot of fun to
play with.  It can be a Vax one second and a PDP-11 the next.