[rescue] Does any one on the list run this?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 06:09:04 CDT 2013

[Sorry for keeping this on Rescue - not my thread, but should be on Geeks
IMHO.]

The way history is taught in America, based on my (admittedly) small sample
size of. schools I personally attended from pre-K to Grad school is that major
technological advances ARE taught, but from the perspective of the impact that
technology had on society, not the technology itself. I think that for most
Americans that is suitable and appropriate.

The impact of the railroads on American Society is much more meaningful than
an appreciation of the adoption of the track gauge standard, the evolution of
the steam, diesel, and diesel-electric locomotive, etc.

Because we love to study up on the minutiae of technology and we think we are
better for it doesn't translate into the idea that a similar exposure to that
same level of minutiae would benefit EVERYONE else.

Personally, I think what's fascinating about the US space program was that we
managed to put a man on the moon WITHOUT a federal Department of Education,
but that's a discussion for another list.

Lionel