[rescue] Anyone dealt with a SPARCle laptop with bad video?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Jun 5 01:04:25 CDT 2013

So I picked up a for-parts SPARCle 500 laptop last month. It has the
DVD-ROM drive, not sure on what else is still intact (it came with no RAM,
no disk, no battery, no power adapter).

I finally got the PC133 ECC SDRAM for my SPARCle laptop from an eBay seller
in Israel, found a compatible power tip  for my iGo universal power supply,
and powered up the SPARCle. Alas, I got what looks kinda like interlaced
video with missing lines on it.

Photo of screen: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/poqs5m1wru8tt4f/eG_CDBUuv3

I get the same on an external VGA monitor (
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/id0kj5w3grkf4wk/Tj_JPfeTuS), although it's
shifted to the right of the 1600x1200 monitor.

Anyone run into this before, and have any ideas on how to fix this if it
can be fixed?

The keyboard works-- STOP-A changes as does 'probe-ide-all' at the OK
prompt. For now I have no hard drive although the machine has a DVD drive
and I can probably try to boot opensxce or Solaris 9 on it. But I'm not
optimistic.

Thanks,
Robert