[rescue] Fast Ethernet with a Sparc Classic

Kurt Nowak knowak at alumni.calpoly.edu
Mon Jun 3 16:04:29 CDT 2013

Thanks to everyone for sharing your wealth of information. So, it looks
like the QFE would be a senseless in a Classic with my bandwidth
requirements. Also, since I will be needing to stream video and process
other modern bandwidth hogging stuff, a faster machine makes sense. I
suppose I could make the hme happen with an Ultra-1e but the power
consumption would be a problem. Since I don't want to acquire any more
hardware and wish to utilize what I have, I think Ive decided to just use
one of my two Sunfire V100s. According to the spec sheet, I was surprised
to see that it only consumes ~30W compared to the Classic which draws over
100W. A cheap, older iX86 based machine with a pair of fast NICs would have
been my next choice but I don't have one lying around. Thanks again,
everyone!