[rescue] Sparc based distro's - WAS:Re: Martin is at it again

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Jun 2 06:56:15 CDT 2013

" From: Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc>
"
" <rant mode on>
"
" I really do not understand the reluctance to produce Sparc compiles from
" the various *Solaris based distro's.  I can't tell you all the times I
" heard from Sun that Sparc and x86/x64 were compiled from the same source
" code tree.
"
" I take a little bit of that back, I could understand issues at the
" hardware/driver level.
"
" </rant mode off>
"
" I do network and Unix administration for a living.  I am not a
" developer, although I appreciate all the work that has been done with
" all the different *Solaris based distro's.
"
" Can anyone explain to me, from a high level, what exactly the difficulty
" is in kicking out a Sparc based distro?  Or was Sun lying to us all along?
"
" Constructive comments appreciated.

i imagine it was architecture defines and conditional compilation.  if
openindiana hasn't been chasing all the branches as they evolve the
code, they could get out of sync enough to not all compile.