[rescue] Fast Ethernet with a Sparc Classic

James Birdsall jwb-tech at picarefy.com
Sat Jun 1 00:28:59 CDT 2013

My main router is a 4/6xx with two qfes. Out of the eight interfaces,
I'm only using three: the first card has the line to the outside world
and one subnet, and the second card has the other subnet. Said line to
the outside world is (theoretically) 20Mbit down. For the most part this
arrangement works really well, but there are some activities
(particularly downloading a game from Steam) which cause weird issues:
the download is still fine, but it won't route packets between the
subnets anymore unless I pause the download. It makes me wonder if one
heavily-loaded interface on a card can saturate the SBus interface.

Since the original poster has a similar downlink speed and is
considering a machine with just one qfe, this issue could cause them a
lot more trouble. As for me, I've been considering moving up to
something with PCI slots and one Fast Ethernet interface per slot.

Speaking of qfes and 4c systems, I tried one in my SS2 at some point and
it didn't work.