[rescue] VMS for VAXstation

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Jul 29 19:13:25 CDT 2013

    On Mon, 29 Jul 2013, Steve Sandau wrote:

> I have a 2G drive in there with OpenBSD on it, and it works fine.
> If I load  VMS on that drive, will it just recognize the first 1.07G?

    If memory serves, and it may not (as I'm now of a "certain age"),
the limitation was one where if a core-dump was required it could
overwrite filesystem parts that would otherwise operate normally.

> My other choice is a 400MB drive if that will be large enough for
> VMS 7.3.

    VMS 7.3 is perfectly happy living in an under-1GB space.

    I believe the limitation is on the boot drive only; others can
be larger.  I haven't tried this, however, as I followed the cautious
path and laid in a stock of sub-1GB drives a number of years ago.
Besides, with VMS, amassing a gigabyte of data would likely take
decades.

    Cheers!