[rescue] OS Thoughts (Was Re: Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?)

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:19:25 CST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:50 PM,  <rescue-request at sunhelp.org> wrote:

Some interesting thoughts on OS design.

I've been pondering getting a Raspberry Pi mainly to play with various
OS's that are on it (swap out a SD chip, have a new world). One
project that I'd like to try is stripping down the linux distro to the
minimum so that all it is is the FEP for a copy of Brad Parker's CADR
lisp machine emulator. While it will hardly be fast by today's
standards, I'd bet it would still put an LM-2 to shame :)

I'm also amused by the fact that Plan 9 runs on it. That would be
interesting to play with as well.

Porting Minix to it would probably be beyond my skill set though I
could see trying simply because of it has an interesting architecture
that could work well on that system.

Last but not least, a copy of SIMH, or perhaps Hercules, and all kinds
of things long forgotten in a windows world become available to play
with...

So many potential toys, so little money to play with :(

Oh, for my money, Win2K was the best of the bunch so far. Wish my last
CD of it hadn't died, I'd still rather run it for W32 software.
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.