[rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?`

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Wed Feb 27 19:46:25 CST 2013

    Getting back to the original poster's thesis, there is a certain
charm of running a machine that's fully operational yet looks like
nothing more than a pile of parts on the workbench.  If such a device
can be run in ways that its thermal characteristics aren't unduly
compromised, I view that as a win.

    Personally, I have my doubts about the V200 series simply because
of the massive airflow that they seem to demand -- and are capable
of heating -- but exposed to open air also would allow one to point
an IR camera at them to see precisely what's going on and whether
open-air operation is safe for the hardware.

    They do run hot.  The CPU heatsink, even with the two little fans
and fins on it, gets quite hot to the touch, but other bits may not,
or the thermal stress might be otherwise managable.

    As an intellectual exercise, if nothing else, I offer kudos to the
OP on this one.

    Cheers!