[rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?`

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Feb 27 11:52:07 CST 2013

--
Cory Smelosky
Sent from a mobile device

On 27 Feb 2013, at 12:41, Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:

>> I think what really pisses me is the fact that weird Larry will just
>> kill a perfectly good operating system, Solaris.
>
>> Infact - it makes me really angry.
>
> Personally, that bothers me less than their killing the "release
> documentation on hardware we no longer care about" program Sun was
> running in its last days.  I've got at least two or three sbus cards
> which are borderline useless to me for lack of documentation but which
> as far as I can tell nobody cares about in a commercial sense.  I had a
> doc request open in Sun's program for at least one of them....
>
>> As Ellison goes further with the assimilation of SUN, he just
>> assaults any community interest in the platform and applications.
>
> Sure.  Oracle has never found value in community anything, as far as I
> can tell.  And, for their goodness metric, it would appear they're
> right: Sun did, and Sun basically failed.
>
> It's one of the respects in which our system of measuring value is
> broken: it takes no account of value to the world that doesn't also
> represent differential value to an individual person or company.  Not
> that I have any fixes to suggest....
>
>> I think most old Sun guys like me just resent him.
>
> I resent him less than I resent the system that led to, and supports,
> him and his ilk.
>
>> I'll just choose OpenIndiana or move towards Linux or the *BSD crowd.
>
> I've been a BSD type myself since ~forever.  When I first wanted to run
> something open on a Sun, NetBSD was the only option; even now, as far
> as I can tell Linux is the only other option for the variety of
> hardware I have, and, as much as NetBSD is looking determined to trash
> the reputation they built up, I find I still prefer it over Linux.  (I
> really should look into possible alternatives....)

NetBSD has really changed.  Stuff seems so much less stable and
well-implemented now. I think they got in over their heads with the sheer
number of architectures supported. OpenBSD have gone crazy, and FreeBSD didn't
like my Netra.

Linux has the flaw of being tremendously fractured in both distros and the
community, there is no uniformity and little cooperation. It unfortunately
inherited that from UNIX. (Don't even bring up RedHat or Canonical)

So choose closed, choose broken/in-over-their-heads, or choose fractured and
political.

There are unfortunately no good options...