[rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?`

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed Feb 27 10:35:18 CST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:12:59AM -0500, Andrew Jones wrote:
> On 02/27/2013 12:34 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:.
> >
> >I'd like to see people selling good V245s for 65 bucks! Not that I could
> >afford to ship one. Anyway a V210 is a damn nice 1U server except for the
> >banshee wail you get.
> >

> I suspect that the reason the bottom has dropped out of this market
> is Oracle support contracts.

That, and the fact all this stuff is past EOL and you can't get a support
contract even if you wanted.

> When Oracle wants 10% of original MSRP for a HW support contract,
> before they will even talk to you about Solaris patches, used
> equipment stops making any sense.

It makes sense if you pick it up free from somebody who's throwing it out or
if you can pay 65 bucks for a perfectly good server! Aside from the noise,
heat, power consumption, etc. etc. etc. they make great development boxes.

> Unless you have a "grey market" source for patches, how can any home
> user keep Solaris secure?

Patches?! We don't need no stinkin' patches..ahahahahaha ;-)

I'm still running a copy of XP from 2002 for a VPN for work. I guess you
could say I'm just not that worried about it. Then again, I'm a home user, I
don't run anything important. YMMV.