[rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?`

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Tue Feb 26 03:02:21 CST 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:40:03AM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:
> Thanks. I'm mainly looking to test the boards first... I've found the
> power supplies for ~$30 but if I can validate power and basic
> functionality with a standard ATX power supply, that would save me a
> few days.

I paid 90 bucks each for my V210 PSUs so you have a bargain there. If you're
going to run the boards without a case make sure you have an A/C blowing
over it when it's running or I suspect you'll burn up the CPUs fairly
quickly unless the OBP shuts down for you which it well might. The temp
limits are very high for these CPUs but they are still silicon!

> Looks like this is actually the middle config, the newest board for
> the 1ghz. Too bad they don't take 4gb dimms; I have a small stash of
> 4gb ddr1 ecc registered RAM that isn't turning out to be quite as
> useful as I'd hoped. :)

I would try them anyway. I'm not sure they wouldn't work. The later OBP
versions seem to support bigger/faster RAM. I think it's PC2100/3200
depending on version. There are a couple of guys on the list who know for
sure.

When I get some cash I'll be in the market for 2G sticks since my machines
have only 4 and 8G and I'd like to max them out.