[rescue] Free: Next slab & monitor/local pu 94538

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Wed Feb 6 01:27:37 CST 2013

> Ethan,
> Where might one acquire such a gadget?  Not only does my NeXT monitor need
> it, but it's a common problem we have at the Living Computer Museum
> (although it competes with screen burn-in as our biggest headache with
> terminals).  Thanks -- Ian

Hello Ian!

So the main brands are Sencore and B&K.

Here is where it gets a tiny bit tricky. A lot of CRTs have different
connectors, and the units come with (or find PDFs of) documents that
list CRTs and which adaptor to use.

A friend scored me a free one, but it lacks the adaptors to fit the arcade
monitors that I generally would want to rejuvinate. It takes two adaptors
on top of what I have to get to the connector that is common on arcade
monitors (I'm told.)

Another thing, a friend brought one over and we ran it on my Neo Geo (an
arcade machine) monitor. Before it was dull, weak. After it was so vibrant
and great. Except we didn't take the monitor out and lay it face down (the
abbreciated instructions didn't say this :-) and the monitor turns bright
green with raster lines through it randomly. It just needs to be redone
with the monitor sitting face down. Tapping the neck of the tube makes the
arcade go back to normal.

It seems dark arts but I've seen it restore near death CRTs.

The units are called CRT rejuvinators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzR-wNvlIek

If you're not familiar with monitor repair hit me up, we can talk voice
for a minute and I can give you some info on safety.

--
: FLICKR   http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethanotoole :