[rescue] Sun 3/80 mobo wanted

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Tue Aug 13 14:06:31 CDT 2013

On Aug 13, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Kurt Nowak wrote:

> By chance does anyone have a 3/80 mainboard lying around. I fired mine up
> after years and it no longer powers up. I first thought it was the PS, but
> I replaced it with a known working one from an SS1 and it still was dead.
> Any possible ideas would be appreciated.

I have three that have all failed the same way - by developing a carbon arc
inside the PCB (in approximately the same location on each board). If you are
amenable, I'd like a crack at repairing yours, which would theoretically allow
me a better shot at tracing out the various circuit paths and possibly
ultimately to successfully resurrecting at least one of mine.

The first step to fixing my problem is dremeling out the carbonized sections
of PCB, and re-filling the hole with resin. My initial attempts with the
dremel suggest (as one might imagine) that it is basically impossible to clear
the carbon and not destroy the copper tracks. Thus, the interest in tracing
out an intact board.

Or maybe somebody knows of a solvent that would be of use here, to
preferentially dissolve the carbonized fiberglass, and leave the rest of it
alone?

ok