[rescue] VMS for VAXstation

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sun Aug 11 14:50:14 CDT 2013

On 08/10/2013 10:00 AM, John Francini wrote:
> Sure you can.  The syntax is:
>
> dir devname:[*]
>
> The root of the device is [000000].
>
> Unlike UNIX, the root directory can only hold directories and ODS-2
> (filesystem) metadata files.
>
> So assuming you have a single SCSI disk on your VAXstation:
>
> dir dka0:[*]
>
> will walk the ENTIRE directory tree on that disk.

Indeed it does, and I see why you capitalized the work "entire!" Saving
that off gives me an idea of what is actually on the disk and where it
it. Excellent. Next I'm working on pipes and finding how to do things
like "grep" (that one is "search" I think) that are useful in *nix.

Thanks again. This is getting interesting.

Steve