[rescue] VMS for VAXstation

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sat Aug 10 08:29:31 CDT 2013

Thanks for the responses, guys. That is *exactly* what I was missing.

The logical name thing is the biggest one. Keeping a cluster in mind
while thinking about those really helps. too. I guess I want to trace
the logical names back to the device:directory names so that I can get a
picture of the file structure. I was looking for a way to do a directory
of a device, but that doesn't appear to be possible.

The filespec stuff makes sense enough; I just need to get better at the
syntax so every command doesn't take three or four tries. ;-) I see now
that the .COM files are like shell scripts or batch files. Knowing what
DCL is makes more of the reading I've done makes sense. I have edited a
couple of .COM files for startup tasks like TCP/IP and an additional drive.

I'm thinking of symbols as aliases more or less. Symbols explain why I
can run things that don't seem to exist as a file. I see I can get a
list with "SHOW SYMBOL *" too.

I have read parts of the System Manager's manual but seem to have missed
some basic concepts. Thanks for giving me something more to work with. I
think this is going to be interesting for a while.

Thanks again.

Steve